Function: Responsible for completing internal and customer implementations and providing ongoing support for all s2s engineering projects.
Job Class: Mid-Level Engineer
Reports to: CTO
This engineer is responsible for both s2s and customer engineering projects, including day-to-day engineering operational support for s2s. Experience with major firewall providers including Cisco Meraki is required, as well as a winning personality and exceptional customer relationship skills.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES include but are not limited to:
Network Deployment and Support
- Deploying s2s Managed Network Solutions including Cisco Meraki and Ubiquiti UniFi environments. Includes assisting with project management and completing project tasks as well as applying technology to business issues and applying best practices to network design, implementation, and support.
- Development of the overall architecture of the managed network infrastructure including firewalls, switches, and access points for customers and s2s.
- Providing Tier3 support in the context of solving technical issues for customers and s2s involving firewalls, filtering, IP Networking, Routing, VPNs, and application connectivity. Employing a training mentality when working certain issues, especially when involving s2s team members, to cultivate empowerment within the team.
- Making network changes in support of customer’s requests and needs.
- Assisting management and collaborating with other team members in the ongoing definition of network design, services, procedures, and policies. Participating in a supporting role, in the implementation of those designs, services, procedures, and policies. Ensuring appropriate hand-off to operational/systems support staff of new implementations or upgrades.
- Responding to network issues on an on-call basis. This may, depending on the situation, require work outside the traditional work hours, including weekends and holidays, and will require carrying a mobile device and responding to phone calls and emails as needed.
- Monitoring performance, capacity, and availability of firewalls on an ongoing basis. Recommending improvements in technologies and practices to increase these metrics.
- Maintaining awareness of and familiarity with trends and new developments in technologies used in, or appropriate for use in, firewall support and operating infrastructure.
- Developing proof-of-concept pilots and test plans for new tools and technologies as appropriate for use in firewall support and operating infrastructure. Coordinating implementation of new tools and technologies in the production environment and ensuring appropriate hand-off to operational/systems support staff of production tools and technologies.
- Representing s2s engineering team in regional, national, and international technical forums as appropriate. Working with other technical staff to develop firewall architectures, technologies, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Proactively monitoring, measuring, and reporting the effectiveness of the operation’s services and solutions. Developing and maintaining metrics reporting to demonstrate progress toward meeting and exceeding goals and reporting to leadership monthly.
Internet Service Implementation Support
- Acting as escalation point of contact for internet service implementations.
- Troubleshooting, testing, and finalizing internet service installations remotely as needed with on-site implementation and ISP technicians as needed. Includes ability to guide proper configuration of Internet Service Provider (ISP) modems/routers.
- Reviewing chronic circuit incident tickets and providing next plan of action.
- Cellular service implementation and incident resolution, including configuration, deployment, management, and trouble resolution of Cradlepoint & other enterprise grade cellular routers and related technology.
- Managing an Office365 business environment including email and SharePoint resources.
- Providing customer support for Windows desktop issues, requirements, and configurations.
- Maintaining local computer patching, standard builds and best practices using the ConnectWise Automate platform.
- Maintaining a small AWS EC2 and VPC environment
- Proactively monitoring, measuring, and reporting the effectiveness of the local systems including Synology NAS DiskStations, printers, and cameras.
- 5+ years of experience in Information Technology with specific knowledge in firewalls, WAN & LAN Technologies, Daily Network Operations and Systems Management.
- Extensive hands-on knowledge and experience configuring and troubleshooting Cisco Meraki equipment, firewalls, switches, and access points. Certifications preferred.
- Extensive hands-on knowledge and experience with Cradlepoint & other enterprise grade cellular routers.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with network protocols and concepts including: SSH, FTP, ICMP, TCP/IP (IPv4 & IPv6), Network Address Translation (NAT), SNMP, IPsec, GRE, QoS, and VLANs.
- Proven ability to interpret output from network traffic analysis tools such as Wireshark.
- Practical knowledge of various local and wide area network infrastructure including Ethernet, TCP/IP, VPN, WiFi, broadband and related transport technologies.
- Experience designing, implementing, and supporting solutions for site-to-site and remote access VPNs desired but not required.
- Ability to learn new systems and interfaces quickly and effectively.
- Effective interpersonal and consulting skills to be used to align customer needs to tactical and strategic solutions.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic team environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills necessary for clear client communication, definition of scope, project deliverables, appropriate system documentation and client communication.
- Proven leadership, team player, advanced communication skills, critical thinking, time management and multi-tasking capabilities, problem resolution skills with ability to make difficult decisions on functional and operational changes.
- Must have professional demeanor and ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and/or 5+ years of related experience is required.
- Technical Skills, Tools, Software, Languages:
- Major network device manufacturers, including Cisco Meraki, infrastructure (firewall, switch, wireless access point) administration
- Miscellaneous ISP firewalls, modems, and routers
- Network Administration and Management
- Knowledge of service or helpdesk platforms
- Documentation of network environments using Word, Excel & Visio
Call us at 856-780-3739
Or submit your information below.
Contact us about our Job Opening
At s2s, we love providing customers the network they've always dreamed of. If you're a Network Engineer and would like to work with s2s, please send us your information in the form to the right.